Friday, June 6, 2014

Moomy's Dream of a Flooded Prata

I wonder if you, my dear reader, ever have that feeling when you know you're definitely asleep but whatever you're dreaming felt so bloody real …

Yeah!! That one! I'm very sure everybody had experienced that before but o boy … 

It happened to me last night. And the dream … it's food-related. O please don't roll your eyes …

So I dreamt I had ordered prata … and then just as I was about to eat it, I woke up.

Cue the beautiful slow-mo bursting of a bright, shiny bubble!



I grabbed my phone and checked the time - a very un-godly 3am.

For those who are not familiar with prata … this is prata (courtesy of Foodspotting.com):


Prata Banjir, o yum!

Prata (or Roti Prata) is the Asian version of a pancake, flour-based and fried on a flat griddle. It is usually eaten with curry (either vegetable or fish) - sometimes I like mine with sugar (its a childhood thing) - and a popular choice for breakfast in Singapore and Malaysia.

You can have your prata plain (or kosong, as they say it in SG and Malaysia) or with egg (prata telur) … and if you're absolutely adventurous, you can go crazy with your prata and ask for cheese, mushrooms, onion, banana, etc in it. 

I ain't that crazy with my prata hehehe

Banjir is Malay for flooded. The term banjir, when applied to prata, means that you soak the prata pieces in a generous amount of curry. Everybody eats their prata differently. Like I said before, sometimes I like to tear off pieces of prata and dip it in sugar. Some people dip their pieces in curry. And some … some soaked the entire prata in curry! By soaking it, you basically allow every nook and cranny of the prata to be enveloped in that wonderful rich gravy that is your beautiful curry.

Heaven.

So back to my dream … OMG!! I dreamt that I was in line and I had placed my order - kosong satu, telur satu, banjir, OK, Uncle!

And the smell … the smell of the curry! I swear I was smelling the thick fragrant of curry powder and spices in my own bedroom!! 

And then I woke up.

Cue the music: "O what a wicked thing to do … to let me dream of you …" 



It hurts. It really hurts to be able to smell and think of food that way. I must have read something yesterday that somehow, it got stuck in the back of my mind and came back to haunt me in my sleep …

O well. 

O bloody well. I can either learn to make prata from scratch (you have to flip your dough and I certainly cannot do that!! The raw dough might just fly to the ceiling of my rental house!) or go to the nearest Asian market and buy an imported frozen pack (I have seen it so I know that option exists).

O well. Life goes on, eh? I am sure this feeling will pass … 

Now I'd best get on with my chores for today … I shall be back! Toodles!! :D:D:D

 

No comments:

Post a Comment