Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Moomy Had A Crepe-y Day!

Day 13 of 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil

As of right now, 7:42am on Day 13, 8 teams have already made it to the Road of 16 - Brazil, Mexico, Netherlands, Chile, Columbia, Costa Rica, Argentina & Belgium.

6 have been eliminated - Croatia, Cameroon, Spain (defending champions), Australia, England (o the poor lads!) & Bosnia-Herzegovina.

8 more spots are up for grabs so … anything goes. Anything and everything can happen in 90 minutes in the world of football/soccer.

I know I haven't written anything for a bit but truth be told, I needed a break to get over the thrilling match between USA & Portugal this past Sunday. 

Klinsmann's 11 ALMOST made history. 

Klinsmann's 11 ALMOST made it through to the Road of 16 but their almost-victory slipped out of their hands just seconds before that final whistle was blown.



The headline said it all.

I know I wasn't alone when I say that I felt utter disappointment and pure heartbreak that day. O how I dragged my feet around the house after the match. Even a hug from my darling hubby didn't quite console me (usually his bear hugs worked like a cure!).

I felt crappy.

I can defo go on and on about Sunday's match but I don't want to. It was bad enough watching snippets of it yesterday - o the pain! 

I had to do something to cheer me up. To take away that crappy feeling …

So yesterday, I made CREPES! :D 

Hehehehe get it? Get it? LOL!




Anyhoo, I had watched videos of Jacques Pépin making crepes. He made it look so easy!

Plus, my BFF - she's in Melbourne, Australia at the moment for a holiday - had sent me a picture of her holding a huge, freshly made crepe - hers was cinnamon and sugar! And her crepe looked so damn goooooooodddd!! 

So here's how I made mine, using Pépin's technique:

I melted about 2 tablespoons of butter in a frying pan. While waiting, into a bowl went 1 and a half cups of flour, 3/4 of a teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of sugar and 3 eggs. 




The beginnings of my crepe batter 

I then measured out 1 and a half cups of milk but only poured half of it into the bowl. I whisked the mixture until it was smooth and thick.

Now the crepe mixture had to be thin so add the rest of the milk and the butter that was melting away in the pan. Whisk again.

Using the same pan that had melted the butter earlier, I poured about a 1/4 cup of the thin batter. Swirl the pan around so the batter will coat the surface of the pan evenly.

Let the batter cook for about 1 minute; check the underside of the crepe to see if it's nice and golden. Once that happened, flip the crepe over to cook the other side.




The almost-ready crepe! :D

And ta daaaaa!! Well, not quite! *chuckles* Unless of course, you prefer your crepes plain.

Not me!

Now you can go to town on the toppings for your crepes - the sky's the limit, really. You can opt for sweet toppings like chocolate, jam, fresh fruit or savory ones like sautéed mushrooms, cheese, etc.

I had my first crepe - a sugar & lemon one - in 1999, if I'm not wrong, on a short break to Paris, France with one of my uni besties, Juo-Lan. There were crepes and baguettes everywhere so I just had to try some. It was very good!! :D

When the crepe was ready, I spread some margarine on it, sprinkled some sugar and squeezed a wee bit of fresh lemon. Not too much, mind you. The crepe shouldn't be soggy, in my opinion. Then fold the crepe into half, and then half again. 




Ta daaaaa!! 
My simple sugar + lemon juice crepe!
:D:D:D

I loved it. I had thought making crepes might be tricky because the French had used a special tool to spread the batter thinly on their flat griddle. 



You don't really need that
to make a crepe at home!

But Pépin showed me that it was easy to make crepes at home. And his batter was good. The crepes were soft and versatile enough to let you dress it into a sweet crepe or a savory one. 

Like I said before, you can dress your crepes any way you like it. The following was how my darling hubby had his - he used Cool Whip as filling, rolled his crepe instead of folding it and then topped it off with a generous helping of Nutella. O yum!! 




Whipped cream, yum. Nutella, yum yum!! :D

Now that was the perfect way to end a crepe-y day! Hehehehehe have a good one, y'all!! :D:D:D

No comments:

Post a Comment