Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Moomy Had A Leg-o-Lamb, Leg-o-Lamb, Leg-o-Lamb!

12:42pm.

My Italian team has just been eliminated by Uruguay in a match that saw the Gli Azzurri playing with 10 men and Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez biting another opponent on the field for the 3rd time!!


Suarez's 3rd Victim, Italy's Giorgio Chiellini,
showing off his bitten shoulder.
Grrrr!! Football/soccer is a no-hand (unless you're the goal key, of course, or throwing in from the corner), no head-butting (who can ever forget Zinedine "Zizou" Zidane's charge on Materazzi's chest in World Cup 2006! Zidane was red-carded immediately by the referee) game.


That headbutt made for a
thrilling final during World Cup 2006.

And defo no biting, Suarez!!

I hope FIFA will review the incident and mete out the appropriate sanction. Things could have turned out differently if the referee had seen the biting incident take place …

O well. Maybe Suarez was hungry starving for some kind of Italian meat. LOL!




OOO which brings me to Our Big Roast this past Saturday afternoon!

If you have met him, you would know that my darling hubby looooooooves meat. He's a meat-y kinda guy. And cooking-wise, I don't really like to handle red meat because if you cook beef wrongly, the meat could turn out tough. It happened to me before.


I told you my darling hubby loves meat!

But I'm getting better though. And I prefer to cook beef. Steak, burgers, steak, more steak. I'm the beef-y kinda girl. Hehehe.

Anyhoo!! We had recently watched an old episode of Good Eats where Alton Brown prepped a leg of lamb to be roasted on the grill. Since that day, my darling hubby could not stop talking about it ("Ahhhh, that looked good, honey!", "Oooo I can do this, honey!") ...

So we did! :D:D:D Here's the recipe we used, courtesy of Mr. Brown: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/silence-of-the-leg-o-lamb-recipe.html

We couldn't believe how simple it was really. We made the paste the night before because we wanted the lamb to be marinated overnight so the meat could suck up all that nice flavor from the paste. And we made a wee bit more because hehehe, we had quite a chunk of leg to work with.

Our thick paste of rosemary + Dijon mustard

The combination of fresh rosemary and Dijon mustard was so fragrant that we really had to try hard not to lick the Bullet clean hehehe anyway, once the paste was ready, we divided the marinade into 2 separate Ziploc bags - we didn't have a bag big enough to fit the entire chunk of leg-o-lamb so we had no choice but to cut the leg into 2.

Each portion of leg went into a Ziploc bag and then we squeezed as much air as we could out of the bags and sealed it. The next step was a lot of fun - very carefully, I massaged the paste into every nook and corner of the boneless lamb leg. It took me quite a while because the bag could split and marinate and lamb could go everywhere on the counter-top. Plus, I truly believe you have to treat the meat with respect. That way, it will cook beautifully for you.

Our marinated packets of leg-o-lamb!

*rolls eyes* This might sound silly to you, my dear reader but hey, it worked, y'know! :D:D:D Anyway, we let the beautifully rubbed leg-o-lamb sit in the fridge to marinate overnight!

Fast forward to the next day: Saturday afternoon.

So our leg-o-lamb had been sitting in the fridge overnight to marinate. By mid-afternoon, we took the cold meat out and let it sit on the counter top. We wanted the meat to rest for a bit before it goes on the hot grill. We picked up this tip from the chefs of Food Network. They say that by letting your meat rest at room temperature, your meat will cook evenly. 

Anyhoo, my darling hubby fired up his grill while I fixed the sides for our dinner: we decided on Caesar Salad with home-made dressing and Roasted Herbed Spuds a la The Naked Chef. These are the links to the recipes I had used:
http://www.stonegableblog.com/2011/01/stonegable-ceasar-salad.html
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/perfect-roast-potatoes

My darling hubby's man-toy.

Remember, good food takes time to cook so even though the meat might be ready once you took them off the grill, you need to let them rest before you slice the meat up. 

By doing so, you will let the meat juices go right back in, instead of all over your cutting board. In other words, resting your meat will not make your meat dry.

See? Resting the meat made the
leg-o-lamb really juicy and moist! :D:D:D

Besides, you can't quite enjoy any piping hot food without burning yourself! So have patience, and while waiting, watch some futbol! *winks*

And here's the reward for the patient man:

Our Saturday night dinner: 
Leg-o-Lamb Alton Brown's style,
Roasted Herbed Potatoes and
Caesar Salad with home-made dressing & croutons! :D

The marinade was perfect for lamb. Mint, rosemary, Dijon mustard - it was a beautiful combination. The lamb was cooked perfectly and I enjoyed the roasted ends best - so yummy!!

I have made roasted potatoes using the recipe before and it never failed me. I used rosemary in my spuds so it echoed the flavor from the lamb. The Naked Chef's technique was very smart - par-boiling the chunks before roasting them helped the potatoes to be soft on the inside, yet roasted and crispy on the outside. *thumbs up*

I found out on Saturday that I enjoyed the dressing for the Caesar Salad (minus the parmesan cheese, of course). I had always thought it had a yogurt base but I was wrong. The tart- and tangy-ness came from lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. This dressing was simple to make and pretty pleasant. Our salad has Romaine lettuce, quarters of cherry tomatoes and home-made croutons for the nice crunch.

All in all, it was a very hearty dinner. :D:D:D My darling hubby was very very satisfied :D:D:D

Of course, the huge chunk of leg-o-lamb meant that we have a lot of lamb leftover. Fret not, waste not. Just hang in there for my next post and I'll show you how to turn the leftover meat into another hearty meal.

Till then, baaaaaaa!! Oooppsy. That must have been the lamb talking. Toodles, everyone! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment