Thursday, June 12, 2014

Moomy & The Naked Chef's Pasties

What time is it? It's Moomy's Happy Hour!! *chuckles*

It's 11:27pm. And it's quiet all around.

Almost! *chuckles again while glancing at the sleeping form of darling hubby*

World Cup 2014 will kick start its month-long football oopsy, SOCCER tournament in Brazil tomorrow! (Golly, slip of the bloody tongue. I must remember to say soccer now and not football because here, football is used for an entirely different sport.)

Soccer's one of the most popular sports in the world; everybody knows at least something about soccer. Really.

If you were to ever ask anyone to name the first thing that comes to mind about soccer, chances are they'll mention Beckham. Who doesn't know Beckham? We're talking about Mr Golden Balls here, OK. The one who can bend it. Not his other half, who, let's face it, is equally famous too.


Bending it like Beckham 

I have always enjoyed watching a good game of soccer - damn it, can I just call it footy?? - I grew up watching Liverpool matches on the telly with my uncles and grandpa at CC. Ian Rush. I remember him. Anyway, through the years, World Cup was always interesting because that's the one month in every 4 years where all men, all over the world, regardless of their color, language, creed or marital status will eat, sleep, drink, dream and talk football.


Liverpool's Ian Rush

I have my fave teams too. Yes, teams. I don't just root for one country. I root for 3 different countries. I have been doing so (rooting for this same trio) for the last several WCs. I'm a huge, huge fan of England, Germany and Italy! :D

I root for England because good ol' Blighty will always have a soft spot in my heart. I love a lot of English things - Mr. Darcy, Pride & Prejudice, Marks & Spencer, Jill Mansell, Take That, Robbie Williams, All Saints, Love Actually. Oy! This might just have to continue in a separate post! Hehehehe like I said earlier, I grew up watching Ian Rush play for Liverpool. And there were other football greats like Gary Lineker, John Barnes, Michael Owen, David Beckham, Wayne Rooney, Steven Gerrard and many others. And if their national players are not memorable enough, I'm sure you must have heard of England's rowdy supporters *grins*

Germany! My fascination with the German lads must have started with Jurgen Klinsmann in UEFA Euro 1996. I remember rooting for them and predicting that they will win the championship that year. They did :D The Germans have great players too - Matthaus, Kahn, Ballack, Klose, Ozil, Podolski. Ozil and Podolski are the younger players - I remember they were really good during the last WC in South Africa. I remember Poldi because I was so impressed by how quick he was on the field that I named one of my terrapins after him *grins*


And no, my late terrapin Poldi, defo did not look or move like Lukas Podolski ;-)

And the Azzurri boys! Italians are known not just for their pastas or their fancy-schmancy designer suits or fast cars but their boys are pretty good on the football field too. Now who doesn't remember Roberto Baggio, Gianfranco Zola, Alessandro Del Piero, Fabio Cannavaro, Gianluigi Buffon (till now, I think he's the only goalkeeper who can pull off a pink jersey!) and my fave defender, Gianluca Zambrotta :D


The Azzurri boys were crowned 2006 FIFA World Cup Champions in Germany :D

This year, however, my darling hubby has given the decree that I should not be rooting for England anymore now that I am on American soil. I have to support Team USA.


#OneNationOneTeam #USMNT

Of course, no problem, hunny. It is my home country now :D:D:D

Plus … with Mr. Klinsmann as the Head Coach, I am sure Team USA will do well.


I wonder where I can get one of those Team USA scarves …

Anyhoo! Since I can't quite outwardly support England in their quest for the WC trophy this year, I thought it would be nice to pay homage to the English lads by whipping up a good ol' British delight :D

So tonight, I made Jamie Oliver's Cornish Pasties! Here's the recipe: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/early-autumn-cornish-pasties


Our dinner: Cornish Pasties!

I enjoyed making the pastry for this pasty. It was easy peasy to do - rubbing-in method and nothing more. I think that's why I have always enjoyed Jamie's cooking - he made it look so easy; whack the meat here, throw this herb in, stir, squeeze, and plonk it into the oven!

And this recipe is easy to follow too. Although I must admit, I was a lil worried that the meat and veg are left raw in the dough and that the recipe said it'll take about 30-35 minutes for the pasties to cook in the oven. I was a wee bit suspicious but Jamie did say just follow his instructions. So I did just that.

And 35 minutes later, this was our dinner :D:D:D

The pastry was crisp yet buttery and not soggy - I love it! The filling was cooked to perfection - potatoes, carrots, small chunks of beef. Even the frozen peas! The rosemary and thyme perfumed the pastry nicely it just made the dish more homey …

And darling hubby and I had seconds! It was that good! :D

I will make it again - possibly next week too. But I might make the filling a wee bit differently next time. I think I will use minced beef (so I don't have to cut the meat into tiny chunks), and mushrooms.

Ooo a chicken version sound good too. Chunks of chicken with potatoes, peas, carrots and oregano …

Ahhh … all that can wait. For now, it's bedtime. Good night, my dear reader :D don't let them bed bugs bite ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment