Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Moomy's Backkkk!! *winks*

*dusted the cobwebs off her blog page*

Heh. Like that’s ever possible, huh?

Well, hello hello everybody!! Moomy’s back!! :D:D:D So how’s it going? How was your July? Can you believe it’s AUGUST already? OMG!! How time flies!!


I took a month off blogging because for some reason, the creative juices weren’t quite flowing. I couldn’t seem to put my thoughts into words on the puter. Plus, the summer heat got to me and all I wanted to do was sit and vegetate.

But I’m back now!! I’m absolutely bubbling with excitement because I’ve been busy baking and cooking and reading (OOO I must share with you the books that have been keeping me awake at night! That will come later, OK?) – so much to share, so little time!

So how about some sweet delights to kick off this beautiful month of August? :D It’s a special month for beloved friends and family back in SG and Malaysia – Selamat Hari Raya, everybody!! Eid Mubarak! :D When Eid comes around, it always mean open houses on weekends with delicious, home-cooked feasts and lots of wonderful cookies and cakes!

I defo did not want to miss out on the sweets so I started with something simple first. This is my take on the popular Honey Joy Cornflakes.

I must warn you though: these Honey Joys are bloody addictive. I have made 7 batches in the past 10 days *giggles* Uh huh. It IS very delish!! So ...

Over medium-high heat, I plonked these ingredients into my trusty frying pan: 4.5 tablespoons of unsalted butter, 1/3 cup sugar, 2 generous tablespoons of honey, 2 teaspoons of vanilla and a pinch of salt. Stir these with a wooden spoon until the butter has melted and the mixture turns frothy.

Cubes of butter + honey + vanilla = sweet tickles to your nose!

 Keep stirring - I enjoyed watching the butter melt into the golden syrup!
I tweaked the original recipe by adding vanilla 
and salt - how could you not add vanilla when 
you have a honey & butter mixture? :D 
And salt … it just makes the creamy factor POP! :D

Look at that frothy mixture!! Mind you, it's HOT!!

Once the sweet-smelling mixture has started to bubble up, take it off the heat and pour in 4 cups of corn flakes. Mix it well.

Now back in SG, I had cut glaced red and green cherries to top these honeyed cornflakes. I haven’t found any here at the local Freddy’s so I generously added chocolate sprinkles to the mixture. You can also add black/golden raisins or chopped dried cranberries  whatever tickles your fancy. Just mix it well.

For my 1st batch, I had sprinkled chocolate rice 
all over each individual Joy. I didn't like
the way it went everywhere but the cornflakes. 
So the 2nd time round, I worked 
the sprinkles into the cornflakes mixture.
That was much much better.

Line a mini muffin tray with mini baking cups and spoon your cornflakes mixture into the paper cases. Please be careful because you’re handling hot sugared mixture here – trust me, I have burned my digits several times.
The mixture will be hot and sticky and usually goes all 
over the place but be patient! Delicious sweets take time :D

I thought they looked like lil pots of trees hehehe

Imagine if I had found red and green glaced cherries  
these would be perfect Christmassy sweets, don't you think?

Once your tray is ready, pop it into a pre-heated oven of 305 degF for about 10 mins. Once that is done, let your Honey Joys cool off for a bit before storing these lil darlings into an airtight container.

The cornflakes might seem soft once it has come out of the oven but when you let it sit on the counter for a bit, the honey + sugar mixture will tighten up set and that will give these Honey Joys the sweet crunchiness that is just so addictive!! 

Take a whiff of the smell in this container 
filled with Honey Joys: 
it is gob-smackingly mouth-watering, 
I kid you not!!

Just remember to keep these darlings in an airtight container OK? Preferably a clear container. Let's see how well you fight off that urge to munch on a couple of Honey Joys after breakfast/lunch/tea time/dinner. *grins*

Toodles for now! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment