Thursday, December 4, 2014

Moomy's Tally on Thanksgiving Leftovers!

Right about this time last Thursday, there must have been a lot of fat, golden brown turkeys being pulled out of the oven and set on the countertop to rest.

And I am sure that most of you already had brilliant ideas on how to build your sandwiches using leftovers from the awesome Thanksgiving Day spread.

I was curious too as to how much of that 14+lb bird will get eaten and what will get made from all that beautiful meat so …

Without bothering with the technical how-to's, let me share with you our tally on the beautiful dishes we got from that big, fat golden turkey we roasted on Thanksgiving Day:

From this beautiful 14.68lb turkey, we got a very filling Thanksgiving dinner for 4 adults and these (over the course of 1 week):

#1: Leftovers for my darling in-laws, as they back to the Coast the day after Thanksgiving :D
My darling MiL shared with me that from these leftovers, she got 3 meals out of it: 1 turkey dinner, 1 sandwich dinner and the rest went into a soup. How awesome was that?

#2: 1 leftover plate with turkey meat, mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole, stuffing and roasted veg for my darling hubby
 That huge yellow box contained several halves of deviled eggs - yum!! Even though I did not prepare a plate of turkey dinner for myself the next day, I had enjoyed a bowl of stuffing mixed with roasted veggies and the green bean casserole. Delish!!

#3: 2 huge trays of Turkey Pizza on homemade BBQ sauce with red and orange peppers and mushrooms. Enough for 1 big dinner and 1 lunch for us :D:D:D
This was my darling hubby's pizza. Yeah, he loved his pizzas smothered with cheese. His toppings were similar to mine, with the addition of black olives, jalapeƱos and red onion. 

Mine! When I made the pizza dough, I tossed in a small handful of finely chopped fresh sage, rosemary and thyme leaves. And the combination of shredded roast turkey on BBQ sauce … the smell was pretty awesome, y'know! 

#4: Soto Turkey!
 I heard that Americans look to chicken soup as one of their comfort foods. This bowl of soto turkey, a variation of the popular soto ayam in Singapore/Malaysia, is mine. Small cubes of rice cakes (another option is to have rice vermicelli) with generous serving of shredded turkey meat, topped with blanched taugeh (bean sprouts) and served with fragrant turkey broth and bagedel (potato cakes). Absolutely divine!

Soto turkey is a variation of the popular soto ayam (chicken soto in Malay). Soto is basically a spicy chicken soup, eaten with rice cakes and topped with blanched bean sprouts and bagedel (potato cakes).

And since I had used the turkey bones to make turkey stock, I ladled some into a smaller pot and added ginger, lemongrass and spices like cardamom pods, star anise, cinnamon, cloves and cumin to give the good ol' soup an Asian twist!

That bowl above did not look spicy because it was mine. But my darling hubby spooned a generous dollop of Sriracha into his and his broth turned pretty red. Pretty good, he said :D:D:D

The soto turkey I made was enough for 4 adults.

#5: Cornish Pasties!
 

Look at my darling boys giving me a hand at making these pasties!

I could easily turn the turkey meat into a pot pie but because I always enjoy the smell of fresh pastry baking, I thought making cornish pasties out of the leftover meat would be a sweeter alternative.

Here's the post I'd written on cornish pasties: Moomy & The Naked Chef's Pasties

The filling was shredded turkey meat, sliced cremini mushrooms, carrots, yellow and red peppers, peas, potatoes and onion. That recipe yielded 6 cornish pasties :D:D:D and it was perfect with a drizzle of chili sauce, Sriracha or mustard on the side, whichever tickles your fancy :D

#6: Turkey Stock
I learnt to make stock from meat bones so with the turkey remains and some onions, celery and carrots, I made turkey stock! Not bad, eh?

I kept the stock frozen for the time being; I am sure it will come in handy when I want to make another pot of soto this winter.

So there you go, my dear readers. I felt pretty pleased with myself and the above meals I had crafted out of the leftover turkey meat. Of course, there are endless possibilities and I am sure the next time we roast another turkey, we'll have another list of delicious leftover meals for you to try.

Until our next roast, keep warm and stay dry, everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment