Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Moomy Discovers The Magical World of Hooks, Yarns and Stitches!

Growing up, I remember my mum was always sitting down working on her crochet.

She would look through her Japanese pattern books for a new table doily and I would peek over her shoulder and be amazed that she could actually decipher the alien letters and little arrows here and there.

And then to actually watch her crochet - her fingers nimbly working the fine metal hook and the ball of yarn bouncing along happily in tune to the nifty dips, tugs and pulls of that said hook - I thought my mum was a really smart woman!
Can you see that crocheted chair cover? Gorgeous, isn't it? My mum was always making these type of doilies for the sofas and tables. (The little chubby boy is my younger brother, Hameem. This was sometime in mid 1980.) 

She cooks, cleans and crochets! How lucky is my dear father, right?

Hehehe anyway, I remember learning to knit during art class in primary school. I made a small purse; the yarn was bright blue. I did one project and that was it … until 2010 when I decided to knit a woolen scarf for my darling sister who was then in cold United Kingdom for her studies.

And after marrying my darling hubby, I discovered that my dear MiL loves to crochet too. And she has made for the lil boys booties, blankies, jackets and those cute beanies ...

Anyhoo, I never thought about learning to crochet. The instructions seem … tricky! But remembering my mum who worked with Japanese patterns and watching my MiL constantly working on a new project, my interest was piqued. I felt determined!

And on Thanksgiving Day, my darling MiL bought me a crochet scarf kit as a little birthday gift.
The kit came complete with hook, yarn and easy-to-follow instructions.

I was excited to try but worried that I would end up getting all tangled and knotted up, especially with the 2 lil mudfarts running around me.

But my MiL had said that if I had gotten stuck, we could work on it together.

For one week, the kit sat on the kitchen counter staring at me as I walked past it each day. And this past Friday, I could wait no more.

I opened the kit and read through the instructions carefully.
 My eldest boy, Tommy, was helping me read the 1-2-3's off my instruction sheet.


 
 And so it begins ...


Lookie look!! I managed to work on the wormy foundation chain! That was easy enough …
My attempt at Half Double Crochet stitches … I had a wee bit of trouble but I looked at the illustrations carefully and read the words twice, thrice ...

 It wasn't easy trying to concentrate on that first two rows … especially when you have this boy tugging on the yarn ...

 In his hands, Tommy had a lil footballer figurine and he used that to tug on my yarn. It was as though the 49'er player was doing some king of mini tug-o-war with me ...

 As if Big Brother wasn't enough to distract me, Lil Brother Aidan came along and joined the fun ...

 My work-in-progress!

I wasn't too sure then if I had done the stitches correctly but checking against the picture on the kit, that doesn't look too bad, right?

By dinner time, I was already into my 2nd ball of yarn and I was soooo determined to finish the project there and then! 

And finished I did! I did not take a picture of it then, with the 2 long end tails but after checking with The Expert (read: my dear MiL), I did some weaving and ...
 Ta-daaaa!! :D:D:D
Here's my lil model (he was pretending to be a snowman) with my newly crocheted scarf!

I crocheted it in time to wear it the next morning. I think pink and purple look great together, don't you think? Hehehe :D:D:D Thank you, Mom! This was so much fun!!

I am so glad that I finally dipped my toes into the wonders of crocheting. My fingers are currently itchy to work on more stitches - there are so many!! - and more projects (a floopy beanie, house slippers, granny squares - I have gone quite crazy pinning stuff on Pinterest!).

Do something new today, my dear reader. Start with something simple like trying a different type of coffee or a new recipe … you might be surprised at the results :D:D:D

Keep dry, OK - its raining heavily here today - and stay warm. Happy days!! :D:D:D

2 comments:

  1. You did a wonderful job! Christmas...we can go through the yarn stash and you will be crocheting rings around the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe thank you, Mom!!
    What "stash"? I call that your personal "yarn store"! Hehehe *winks*

    ReplyDelete