Friday, November 21, 2014

Moomy and The Nightmare Before Thanksgiving

And here we are … well, when I said "we", I actually meant "me".

We're less than a week away before Thanksgiving. 

Our first, proper, American Thanksgiving. On American soil, Pacific standard time. (Well, I might as well point it out in case you didn't get it.)

And we're hosting my darling hubby's parents!! 
I'm already nervous - I'm worried that there might not be enough fresh green beans for the green bean casserole because everybody will be trying to get their hands on some, right? - and have been reading up and checking on possible dishes for our menu this year.

If its not what to put on the table, its the table itself that's bothering me. I've watched enough episodes on telly to know that even the tables get dressed with napkin rings and some kind of centerpiece!

You know what's funny … I was actually eye-balling some branches and leaves out in the yard earlier today. I thought the branches and leaves look autumn-y and would be pretty appropriate for a table centerpiece. *rolls eyes*

Too bad I did not pick out more of the teeny weeny lil pumpkins when we went to the patch last month.
See? Lil ones for $2.00! 

 I truly didn't know what I'd do with these at that time … but now I do!! And I regretted that I didn't buy several of these ...

So odd, but so cute, isn't it?

Anyhoo, thinking about our upcoming Thanksgiving dinner reminded me of a Friends' episode where Monica was forced to cook for the gang but they were late. 
The One with the Floating Heads …

Watching Friends was, as always, very entertaining and amusing and it never failed to cheer me up. 
The turkey we cooked when my bestie & her hubby came by to visit us when we were living in Abu Dhabi. Pic courtesy of Ayu and her fine photography skills :D

I know we'll be fine. Its not our first time hosting dinner for our dearest family and friends but I think its just that we I don't want to screw anything up, y'know. I hate to sound repetitive but its Thanksgiving, after all. One of the biggest American holidays, as my darling hubby had helpfully pointed out.

But I know we'll be fine. This is just like any other dinners … 

With extra side-dishes and a proper dessert (thank God for MiLs who bake! My darling MiL is bringing her delicious apple pie! And cranberry sauce - which I thought wasn't necessary until my MiL asked there's any hehehe).

And a dressed table!

So take it easy, everybody. If you're feeling the same anxiety as I am, please drop me a line and tell me what's keeping you calm, OK?

Stay dry, folks. And have a wonderful pre-holiday-madness weekend!!

2 comments:

  1. Not to worry DDIL, frozen green beans work better than fresh in the casserole! Your dinner will be delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, Mom? Frozen is better? Now I didn't know that!! Thank you for the tip, Mom! xxx

    ReplyDelete