Friday, November 28, 2014

Moomy and Her First American Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!!

I know I should have prepared a post and send it off in the midst of all that madness cooking and nibbling and basting a turkey but hey, its still a Thanksgiving weekend so I'm not that late in wishing you, my dear readers, a wonderful gobble-licious Thanksgiving weekend!

Its 10:01am, the day after a loaded Thanksgiving feast.

In my last post, I had written about how anxious I was about this holiday. It was, after all, the first time we're going to host a proper American Thanksgiving dinner. And I'm sure there were "rules" and the do's and do-not-forget's to this turkey dinner.

I must say, it was an eye-opening experience to prepare for this holiday - the hunt for a gravy boat at the local Goodwill store, researching recipes for the best giblet gravy recipe, figuring out what's best to go with that juicy turkey my darling hubby will be roasting …

It was sheer madness, for me, on the days leading up to Thanksgiving but right now, on a rainy Black Friday morning, I am quite the happy bunny.

Tired and exhausted, but pretty pleased.

Let me share with you some of the pictures I took yesterday:
Grandma and Grandpa O'B surprised the lil boys with a couple of new toys :D

The Cooking Schedule. Our target was to sit down and eat by 5-ish.

My darling hubby was busy working the turkey yesterday. Instead of the usual bread stuffing inside the turkey, he stuffed huge chunks of onions, apples and celery and a selection of herbs inside the bird for added juiciness. 

Our 14.68lb (6.65kg) roast turkey a-resting, a-resting … 

I watched The Pioneer Woman make these rolls and it looked pretty easy. She said it would yield 24 rolls but somehow, LOL our dough just grew and we got more than we bargained for. These were the rolls my dear FiL helped me to prepare while me and darling MiL stepped out to Freddy's for a quick get-away. He ran out of muffin tins so he taught me how to make crescent rolls too :D Not bad, eh Dad? *winks*

So buttery and delicious, I ate 2 of these while chopping up vegetables :D:D:D

During the day, we set out nibble platters: cucumbers and bell peppers with a ranch dip dressing, crackers and an assortment of cheese (not in the picture), and my darling hubby also fixed a fresh bowl of guacamole! I never fancied avocados before but that guacamole was awesome!! 


Nothing beats falling asleep in Grandpa's arms …


Helping my darling hubby clear the turkey of its stuffing ...

 Our dinner yesterday was an excellent team-effort: my darling MiL made cranberry sauce, apple pie and mushroom & walnut stuffing. My dear FiL rolled out them rolls, my darling hubby whipped up his fluffy mashed potatoes, giblet gravy and turkey, of course. And I worked on the green bean casserole (I used Alton Brown's recipe & French's fried onions!) and roasted veg :D

I loved how the bar transformed itself into a beautiful buffet spread :D


My plate, with a wee bit of everything on it :D
It sure looked like a lot, right? But I wanted to take a picture of all the dishes on a plate for this post :D:D:D And yes, I ate it all s-l-o-w-l-y and by 9:00pm, I was too stuffed even for a slice of pie.


We split the leftovers between us: these went back to the Coast with my in-laws :D

And these are ours …
That big yellow box held several last halves of Devilled Eggs :D:D:D


I even saved the turkey bones to make stock/soup on another day (I promised myself there will be no cooking on Black Friday!). 

Because I was totally full from dinner last night, that apple pie has breakfast written all over it :D:D:D

So that was our Thanksgiving, my dear reader. I had totally forgotten about the stuffed mushrooms I was going to prepare for nibbles but o well. There is always another dinner …

This Thanksgiving was a special one for us. I cannot believe how fast time has gone by. The last couple of years wasn't easy but I am truly thankful that God has given us strength, faith and perseverance to remain calm in the midst of difficulty.

We are truly thankful to our darling family and friends, both new and old, near and far, who showed us love and support, kind words and bear hugs. You know who you are :D:D:D

Its going to be a cold and wet weekend here so if you're on the road this weekend, drive safe and keep a sufficient distance from the traveling car in front of you, OK? :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment