Sunday, January 4, 2015

Moomy & The Ginormous Party Platter!


Hello hello January and Happy New Year, everybody!! :D:D:D

If your festive hols were anything like mine, I'm sure your house was filled with sounds of wrapping paper tearing, boys squealing with delight over their new toys from Grandma & Grandpa, glasses clinking with ice and toasts for the new year, that delicious smell of prime rib roast cooking away in the oven …

And buttons popping off pants from all that feasting! Hehehe o yeah, I know that feeling alright *winks*

Remember my new found friends, Marlina and Eric? I wrote about them in my post a couple of months back: budandtheobayleyboys.blogspot.com/2014/09/moomy-and-her-newfound-friends.html

Anyhoo, the last time we had them over was for Eid ul'Adha (The Feast of the Sacrifice), in early October. We had barely digested our lunch then when we started talking about food in Singapore that we miss now that we're here in the States.

It must have been my darling hubby who mentioned Nasi Ambeng so the idea blossomed thereabouts about how wonderful it would be to re-create such a feast here!

When you say "Nasi Ambeng" in SG, local Malays will know and expect to be served a huge platter of rice with different meat, chicken and vegetable dishes piled over it. But you don't have that entire platter to yourself (mind you, it is slightly bigger than the extra-large 16-inches pizza from Papa John's); Nasi Ambeng is eaten by 4-5 people to a platter.

This dish originates from Java, Indonesia but the beauty of life is such that rich tradition and culture from our ancestors travel down through their children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and so on. And now that I'm happily married and have 2 beautiful boys, my hope is that by documenting such stories as these, it will help my lil Tommy & Aidan understand the unique fusion of Mommy & Daddy's beautiful cultures.

Nasi Ambeng is typically served to guests during special get-togethers. It is a beautiful sight to see, really … you have groups of 4 sitting in a circle and sharing a rice platter amongst themselves.

Of course, prior to eating, a special water jug & receptacle is passed around so the diners can wash their hands. I was so glad I had packed mine along when we moved here because such a traditional Malay feast ain't quite complete without that humble item :D

So say no more, let me share with you the Nasi Ambeng feast that Marl and I had cooked together:
Nasi Ambeng, the Portland Experience, as Eric had described it :D:D:D
Marl had prepared Sambal Tumis Udang (Shrimps in Spicy Caramelised Onions and Chili Paste), Ayam Masak Lemak Cili Padi (Chicken in Spicy Coconut-Based Gravy) and Sambal Goreng (a heavenly mixture of tempe, tofu, green beans, beef and shrimp cooked in coconut milk and chili paste).
I made Beef Rendang (chunks of beef simmered in coconut milk & spices), Bagedel (little potato patties) and Acar Timun (cucumber pickles with carrots and pineapple).
The above dishes were ladled over rice which was placed on a huge platter covered with banana leaves. If you haven't tried it before, you must put it in your bucket list because its just a unique dining experience!
That silver pot & receptacle on the top left is what we used to wash our hands before we commence feasting ...

And the 'after' shot:
We were all stuffed but the leftovers on this platter weren't wasted: it's (a big) lunch for (me) today, y'all!! Hehehe :D:D:D

I wish you were there to share this unique experience with us … I had a friend on FB who had cheekily asked me if she could place an order from us. Hehehehe o my.

So with a full belly (still a wee bit stuffed from yesterday's feast. I don't think I can work on the leftover plate for lunch later hehehe) and a happy heart, me and my darling boys bid you, my dear reader, a prosperous, promising and fulfilling 2015!! :D:D:D

Love and hugs,
Moomy xo

No comments:

Post a Comment